On Monday 18 October 2004 19:05, Santiago Gala wrote:
> El lun, 18-10-2004 a las 11:08 +0200, Stephen McConnell escribió:

> > Seems to me that he's talking about a very real dark-side of the
> > ASF.
>
> Facts? I would like to see something substantial.

Perhaps this is "culture", I don't know. But I have the distinct feeling that
more stuff than necessary are pushed into private forums. I happen to think
(and I think Steve is of the same opinion) that there is very little in OSS
that needs the secrecy.
Other people in ASF is obviously of a different opinion, as my bashing on
community@ some weeks ago made brutally obvious.

Do I really think there is a big conspiracy behind it all? No, I don't.
Everyone is acting at each instance independently and in a belief it is the
right way. So do government agencies when they gradually eat away your
liberties, each change for a 'good cause'. In a democracy, there are
organizations that track this and raise the flags, run debates and so on.
But then again, one should not compare ASF with a democracy. One should
compare it with a company, where secrecy is the norm, and chain of command is
from above downwards.

Cheers
Niclas
--