On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:56:42 +1100, David Crossley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (I am on the list, no need to Cc.)

GMail doesn't understand how I want to reply, so a double email happened. Sorry.

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> [snip some other stuff for brevity]
> >
> > > No need to "assume" ... the documentation says so explicitly.
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html#Project+Website+Howto
> > > <quote>
> > >   Each project can use whatever documentation system that it chooses.
> > >   Perhaps use a fancy documentation management system like Forrest
> > >   or Maven, or just use simple raw html pages.
> > > </quote>
> > >
> > > Please get your facts straight. You are confusing the community
> > > and casting poor light on a sister project.
> >
> > Quite surprised at the aggression of this, I was unaware that I was
> > attacking Forrest.
> >
> > My apologies for my extreme ignorance.
>
> It is not aggression and i spent lots of my Saturday afternoon
> trying not express any of that.
>
> Two people blankly stating that (my paraphrase) "Forrest is
> one reason for complication" probably hit a raw nerve.
> Please provide some detail - why is it an impediment?

I have no idea. My reply to Ceki's email was that it was the only one
I could see being a problem, if incubated projects were finding it
irritating to have to deal with the maintenance of their forrest page.

The rest of his issues, IP and community requirement, are a part and
parcel of the ASF and reasons to want to be in incubation. Projects
who don't agree with Apache's stance that legal issues are important
(patents, IP, usable licences) and are unwilling to accept the opinion
of lawyers retained by the ASF, should not be here. Equally, projects
who believe that despotism is a good foundation for long-term
community health are better off elsewhere.

However, projects who just dislike forrest for some reason (and I've
never used it so an neither yay nor nay) have not excluded themselves
from the apache-way.

> People have flared on this incubator list before over this topic,
> and i thought that i needed to go into fire-fighting mode again.

As one of the non-member officers, I've been very hesitant to suggest
sponsoring any projects, so the use of forrest doesn't bother me at
all.

> Sorry for my inadequate expression.
>
> Please re-read my comments knowing that it is not aggression,
> just frustration boiling over.

No worries. I hadn't realised it was a subject with a history.

Hen