On 7/2/05, Niclas Hedhman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 July 2005 04:44, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > This last bit troubles me a bit.  I can't say I've seen this 're-emergence'
> > but that's probably my shortcoming in not tracking discussions.
>
> I second that having "shadow plays" isn't serving any practical purposes.
>
> In the same spirit, committership for some people is not necessarily something
> one wants, so keep a door open for the individual to decline privately before
> a public announcement.

+1

In one ASF project or another, I've participated in every
configuration of committer vote.

IMHO, the idea of discussing the vote on the PMC list and then having
the vote on the dev@ list sounds better on paper than in practice. In
practice, the discussion becomes the vote, and creating a second
thread on the DEV list is just going through the motions.

While transparency is good, honesty is better. When we start another
thread on dev@, we create the illusion that the decision is being made
on [EMAIL PROTECTED] In practice, the decision has already been made. The PMC
has
discussed the candidate, and the candidate should have been contacted.
(Yes, some candidates do decline!)

While the PMC list is not public, it is archived, and the record is
available to anyone who really needs to know, like root or the board.
A pmc@ vote is every bit as legal and binding as a dev@ vote.

In my years at the ASF, I've seen way too many public committer votes
go wrong. It's not unusual for the votes to go off topic, and
suddenly, we're discussing voting rather than the candidate. These
types of votes are embarrassing for everyone. Bad things do happen to
these votes, and bad things will happen to these votes. It's the
nature of the beast.

In this case, I believe the simplest practice is best. My advice is to
have the vote on the PMC list and be done with it.

-Ted.