On Jul 28, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

--On July 28, 2005 2:20:03 PM -0400 "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The discussion is related to creating a policy for contributions made to
the *mail list* that works for everyone.

No, that's not how it works.

That's not how what works?

Changing the license terms for contributions posted to the mailing list to only be X11 licensed (for example) would mean that we may not be able to commit it to the tree under the ALv2 license.

Yes, that is indeed the rub.

geir

For example, if someone (not a committer) submits a patch to the mailing list and you have switched the list's licensing terms to X11 (which does not include patent protections), it then means that I can't commit that patch to our tree without requiring a *separate* authorization under ALv2. However, if the mailing list is as defined in ALv2, then the act of contributing grants the necessary terms. -- justin

[EMAIL PROTECTED]