The FSF demands copyright ownership on all code - which means
that they don't allow their contributions to be available
under any other license.  In contrast, the ASF only asks for
a copyright license and we don't care what other licenses you
grant other people.

IIRC, the FSF assignment gives back to the author a license to
do whatever they want with their contribution, including making
a non-exclusive license to the ASF under the Apache License.
I would have to check the assignment form to be sure, though.

....Roy