Sam,

it's not just a question of content and significance. It's also a
question of fitting with existing projects and check to make sure that
the project still adheres to the the charter of the PMC. These are
better checked by outsiders ("Incubator PMC"), since the insiders ("WS
PMC") may be biased.

Another thing i can think of is, for example, when HTTPComponents (by
internal people) was being set up there was resistance from tomcat
folks. But the scope got resolved by active participation by folks
from tomcat and jakarta pmcs. IMHO, this will not happen if a PMC
already voted to accept something even before Incubator PMC knows
about it (not to mention the other PMC's who may significant input).

Thanks,
dims