On Dec 22, 2005, at 9:19 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

To us an Apache project is an effort of the ASF. To the majority of people out there, being an Apache project (rightly or wrongly) is branding stamp. You might not like it, but that's how many people treat it. And that's why one of the first things a company wants do when it proposes incubation is issue a press release.

I keep seeing this sentiment repeated on this list and I think we should address this concern directly.

I've dealt with a few companies involved with projects being incubated, and everyone of them was very concerned about doing the right thing. The last thing they want to do is anger the ASF right when they are getting involved. The problem I have found is that they are just not familiar with the incubator, and make bad assumption. I bet that if we let the corporations know the "Dos and Don'ts" of working with the incubator, they will be followed (at least more often then they are now :)

I suggest we add a "For corporations" section to the "Incubator Guidelines Documentation" which would contain things, like:

Don't do a press release. An incubating project is not officially part of the ASF, and a press release will imply that the project is part of the ASF. This one really makes ASF members angry, so don't go here.

Don't "just" print some t-shirts with the ASF logo or the incubating project's logo. See "Don't do a press release" for reasons.

Do move copyright notices from all source files to the NOTICE file.

Do donate to the ASF :)

I'm sure there are many more.

What do you think?

-dain