On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

On Dec 23, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

<snip/>

Is it permissible to commit code to our repositories that were under, say, GPL (for when a project, like SA, re-licenses)?

Yes. Relicensing means the copyright owners offer a different set
of terms for the same code -- they do not have to change the files
for that to take effect.

So what would it mean if Project Foo comes to the ASF, having released their 1.0 beforehand under the GPL, and then I grab the 1.0 code from the ASF repo and release that as my own version of the original 1.0? Can I release this new version under the Apache License, thereby effectively retroactively relicensing 1.0 under that license, or is that version still GPL, therefore meaning GPL code is checked into the ASF repo? I don't really understand how this would work, but it seems kinda important.

--
Martin Cooper