On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:21:28PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Roy, what happens if I have a codebase, and I have one file in it that
> imports or otherwise references third party GPL code, and I then delete my
> infected file?  Do we have a concern about having that GPL infected code in
> SVN, even though it is dead?

The GPL and other licenses trigger at distribution time. Since you
aren't distributing the file, then you should be safe.

Of course, some people say that it is implicitly being distributed by
virtue of its availability in our source control. I find that an
extremely tenuous argument. Especially in your scenario, where the
thing has been deleted [and someone has to go back to a prev rev].

FWIW, +1 on keeping history.

Cheers,
-g

--