On Jan 12, 2006, at 6:00 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

On Friday 13 January 2006 04:27, David E. Jones wrote:
As I understand it in order to become a top level project the Board
must be the sponsor, which is why the proposal was written that way.

That is a misconception. For projects targetting top-level, EITHER the Board
or the Incubator PMC must sponsor.
Board doesn't like to sponsor, and do so only in exceptional cases. So the Incubator PMC is the right folks to address. (And probably why you get the
"What is this doing here?" response from the Board.)

Yes, that would explain it... I'll adjust our proposal to mention both as options.

So, I guess the most likely and preferred option is the Incubator PMC, so we'll hope for more comments from PMC members. I just read through the Incubator PMC list and it looks like Yoav Shapira is on it, which is great since he was interested in this early on and has volunteered to champion this proposal.

Anyway.
I am also quite intrigued by this proposal. OFBiz has been on my radar for
quite a few years, but never got into any active work I am doing.

However, I am currently working on a "competing product" which I think would benefit from being based on something like OFBiz instead of "all in- house" development. I think the company in question would also benefit is some of
the generic stuff is pushed out into OFBiz, to lower the man power
requirement. After all, this company doesn't sell the underlying technology, they sell the end-user system, totally customized for a particular company.

I am in favour of bringing this to ASF, and would also like to assist in the
incubation process.

Thank you for your comments. It's great to see interest and support for moving in this direction.

-David