Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > [X] is on the Incubator PMC, so he's on the Ode PPMC, and has
> > chosen to actively participate.  ASF Members are automatically
> > eligible for he PMC, others [can be] elected.

> Does this also specifically also apply to the role of Mentor?

The role of Mentor is an Incubator specific notion, having no existence in
the ASF legal structure.  Members, Officers and PMC Members, on the other
hand, do.

The Incubator PMC needs to maintain legal oversight over all of its
constituent projects, and as the Incubator grows, it becomes vital that we
be able to scale that oversight.  This is, in part, why I have been pushing
to have at least three Mentors per project.  Sure, the entire PMC has a
binding over over the entire Incubator, but no one can watch every project.
So we need the Mentors to be active in the community.  Not only are they
there to provide guidance, but to provide oversight.  Only PMC members have
binding votes, as per the ASF bylaws, so Mentors need to be on the PMC in
order to have that binding vote.

So really. a Mentor is a PMC member who is choosing to be active and help in
guiding the community.

        --- Noel