> The community is developing the software, no?

The software that's being proposed as the initial source for
the ASF project has not been under open source development to date.
Almost all of it is code that has been developed and controlled
by one group at Sun.  There's been active and ongoing community
input and feedback, but not community-based development.  A critial
part of incubation will be evolving to open source development.

Jini.org today hosts many different projects, all developed by
different sets of people under various development practices.
Many of those projects are now moving to java.net, some to other
sites.  All of those projects are and will continue to be, to my
mind, part of the Jini community.  So I see the proposed ASF project
as being (a key) part of the larger Jini community (vs the Jini
community "moving" to ASF).

Having written that, I guess I've just explained to myself why
the ASF project should not be merely "Jini", and should either
have a different name or an additional qualifier.  (As for
trademark issues, I'll defer to Jim Hurley to chime in.)

- Bob