On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

"IRC can be used by a podling to bring new people up to speed (e.g.
Q&A between available committers and interested users/contributors),
although such sessions should be archived and made available to those
not able to attend.  However, using IRC as a means to conduct
development/architecture discussions is discouraged.  Even with the
best intentions, experience has shown that it is difficult to maintain
such discussions without implicit decisions being made in the
process."

Personally, I'd cut out the part at the beginning which says what IRC can be used for and just start right out with "Using IRC as a means to...."

Once you start listing what is allowed, it by default disallows anything not listed. Unless that was the intent.

-David

Thoughts?

Cliff

On 7/11/06, Matthias Wessendorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jean-

> Given this paragraph in the committers guide [1]:
>
> > Everything -- but everything-- inside the Apache world occurs or is reflected in email. As some people say, 'If it isn't in my email, it didn't happen.'
>
> Would adding this sentence to the end help?
>
>    Decisions only get made on Apache mail lists -- not anywhere
>    off list, such as IRC, IM, or private emails.

yes! I like it! I'd like to provide a patch, or go ahead if you have
"write" rights.

-Matthias

> > btw. 404 for:
> > http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html
>
> oof! some post-docathon moldly links need to be cleaned up. thanks for
> pointing it out.
>
>  -jean
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/committer.html

Matthias Wessendorf