Paul Fremantle wrote:
Carl

I think some of the team have a good point on the IP and licensing
issues. One issue that is very frustrating from an Apache perspective
is if there are some committers involved in the spec process, and
other committers not involved.

This is frustrating for both halves: the committers who (by dint of
which employer they work for) have access to information and knowledge
about future unpublished spec changes have to be very careful: they
might donate IP to Apache that is under NDA and they don't have the
right to use in code.
The work in AMQP is not under NDA, however IPR rights are only granted
on each version of the spec as it is published. This is true for just about all of the standards process, so the group can deal with issues if they want. So I don't see that it is meaning-full to commit draft work into an OSS project, but it might make sense for the team at large to see updates that could help out in the project knowing how things may
change.

I see two options:
a.) The project requests of the Working Group to review drafts
b.) Apache looks at joining the Working Group.

Both should resolve this issue.

The committers who are NOT part of the spec body have the opposite
issue - they are "in the dark" which is also frustrating.
covered above

A second concern I have is to do with the patent status of this work.
I know from personal experience that there are a number of patents on
reliable messaging held by major companies such as IBM, Microsoft,
Tibco, who are not part of the AMQP effort. To what extent have the
AMQP team evaluated the spec and codebase for patent infringement?

The code is original work using common patterns that are widely used,
will cover details in the submission of the CCLA and code grant with
Apache legal.

Good questions, thanks
Carl.

Paul

On 7/19/06, Carl Trieloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 03:07, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>>  I have provided a direct link to one of the docs on our site
>> http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/amqp/amqp_0-8_specification.pdf
>>

> The license is for the specification, which is far from an obvious one, so I
> would suggest to run this via [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> The main questions for me would be;
>
>  1. Does the specification allows ASF to develop an Apache licensed
> implementation?

yes.
>  2. Are there parts of the specification that must be included in any
> distribution that limits the down-stream rights (the spec mentions that the
> spec itself is non-transferable)?

If I understand correctly what you are asking  - no, no limitations.

I will add this to be clear. anyone may copy, distribute, implement the
spec as long as they include the license - they can
do so in whole or any part there of

> Further,
> Are there any TCK associated with this work that are part of the specification
> work, and if so what are the licensing requirements at this end?

no.

If we need to I will be glad to do additional follow-up with Apache
legal on any issues that
requires that. We spend many hours well more like months looking at the
issues, so I am glad
to provide information as required.

Regards
Carl.