Igor Vaynberg wrote:

> we have been told that -incubating is nothing more then a
> tag that the project is in the incubator and does not at
> all reflect the quality of the release nor its readiness
> for production use

It is not a comment on the code quality at all, but it is a comment on
whether or not users should expect the code to continue to be available from
the ASF, and on whether or not (not, in this case), it in any way carries an
ASF imprimatur.

> the opposite view taken from the maven2 repo thread on this list

The issue with the Maven 2 repositories is with the automated downloading of
code from them.  Without automated downloading, the user has to manually
take action to download code from a URL, directory and artifact all carrying
the Incubator brand, and where-in they will see a disclaimer notice in the
browser.  With Maven 2, that doesn't happen.  So a separate repository is to
provide clear separation to ensure and enforce the specific opt-in.

It is a consistent message: users should be informed and specifically opting
to use code from the Incubator.

> wicket might be a good example and a chance for ASF incubator to learn of
> the needs of these existing projects that want to join ASF and how to best
> accomodate them.

Actually, we've been through this before, but I think that, yes, we're going
to use Wicket as the catalyst to push the issue to a documented consensus.
One trick is likely to be how we can reduce pain while preventing
(potential) brand abuse.

        --- Noel