On Aug 7, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Kim van der Riet wrote:

I have been somewhat surprised at the amount of debate surrounding the
name of the proposed Glasgow project.

Same here, and I've been on this alias for over a year. Most of the discussion earlier has been over infringement issues, not appropriateness issues.

It seems that this project has
become entangled in an issue overdue for discussion within Apache.
Perhaps the emotive issue of using (another) proper noun has sparked a
much-needed debate.

I agree.

I have even been a little confused by the seemingly
contradictory posts about resolving the naming of the project prior to
acceptance vs. solving the issue prior to graduation.

I have noticed that there is a core set of principles that everyone agrees on, and once you go beyond those, opinions tend to diverge.

The good news is that there are no well-accepted principles for entering the incubator with a controversial name. So from me, the name is absolutely not an issue for entering.

Exiting the incubator requires much more consensus than entering, and I'd expect that during incubation that the naming issues should continue to be discussed and resolved. If someone feels strongly that proper names are inappropriate for Apache projects (in general) or some (specific) name is inappropriate then this will come out during the incubation period.

Being new to the process of incubation and to Apache itself, I would
very much appreciate some clarification of the following regarding
Glasgow: Do we need to change our name now or after acceptance?

From my perspective, let's start incubation and discuss the issue during incubation.

The
project undertakes to abide by any policy or naming decision and make
any necessary name changes. If need be, we could even open a separate
thread, pre- or post-incubation-acceptance, for the purpose of finding
an acceptable name, and invite all those who wish to do to to
contribute.

I'd feel comfortable discussing the naming issues on the incubator@ alias. I'd feel less comfortable with a more restricted alias e.g. glasgow-dev@ because people with strong opinions might not even be subscribed.

Some clear guidelines would be very helpful.

Guidelines are an evolving process. Based on what you've seen, naming is not a well-defined process aside from the obvious legal trademark issues.

Craig

Kim van der Riet
Hopeful future (Glasgow) committer
RedHat