Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> I think that instead of spinning on this lock, we should move forward
> with some other name to get things booted, and then resolve the Jini
> name issue in parallel.

I don't know that the name is an issue at all, if Sun is willing to transfer
the trademark to the ASF, as was done with SpamAssassin.  The impression
that I have from Craig and others is that this is do-able.  According to
Simon, this is something that a Sun contact can work on, and according to
Jim Hurley, "We would prefer to contribute it, but I'd like some discussion
on this list on whether that's a viable option."  The answer, Jim, is yes.
We did the same with the SpamAssassin trademark.

Between that and Craig's observations regarding the JDO precedent, it begs
the question of why we should not go forward with the JINI name, which is
what Sun, itself, is offering, and which is the name with which people
associate.  If we eventually find that we must change the name, which it
seems we would all like to avoid, we can do so later.

Either way, I agree that there is great mutual interest in moving the
community and code base into the ASF.  And due to the decommissioning of
jini.org, there is probably some sense of urgency to give the community a
new permanent home.  This proposal as stalled since June, and we ought to be
able to move it forward.

        --- Noel