Oh, please.  We've had a fraction of the outages experienced by either of
them, and if I take into account the number of times I have had network
splits, much less been unable to participate in real-time, on Freenode,
compared to the nicely asynchronous nature of e-mail, it isn't even a close
comparison.

Yeah, I had netsplits on freenode too, and the outages of Apache that
I remember were mostly problems with the site and the download area
which lasted for about a day. But the problems on SF were pretty
severe, sometimes resulting in not getting any traffic for five days
or more. When it gets to that point, it really gets in the way of
operating the project. Apache has a much better track record in this I
believe.

Eelco