On Aug 18, 2006, at 8:49 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 18 Aug 06, at 11:30 AM 18 Aug 06, Dan Diephouse wrote:

Yeah, I find this a bit confusing too. The ibiblio repository distribution policy is unrelated to Apache's. No one is making any claims on ibiblio about the licensing (other than its freely distributable)/community/etc - I mean, come on, there are sourceforge binaries on there! :-)

Also, Guillaume makes a good point, anybody create upload requests for ibiblio. Why couldn't I go make an upload request for any of the incubating projects? You don't have to be a project coordinator to get jars uploaded. It only needs to be a freely distributable binary.

I'm +1 to creating the repositories and its a very necessary first step, but I think things should go further.

I think in terms of physical separation on Apache infrastructure this is a good thing so that we could run the repository manager on that separate repository to get stats on incubator artifact activity. Project using Maven in the incubator can specify a set of repositories to use so it wouldn't be onerous to have artifacts be pulled from the incubator repository. But I honestly don't think there is much downside in syncing to Ibiblio but I suppose that is a decision for the Incubator PMC to decide. That is probably the thing to clear up.

Those are some good points.

Thinking of the projects that I have in incubation at the current time, I get a little sinking feeling in my stomach at the thought they could be out of wide-spread distribution for a year.

-David

- Dan

Guillaume Nodet wrote:
What is the real purpose of such a repository if it is not synced to ibiblio ?
What if a user of an incubating project create an upload request ?
There's no reason why Apache internal policies would affect such a request.
AFAIK, Ibiblio repository is not owned by the ASF ...

Jason van Zyl wrote:
+1

On 14 Aug 06, at 5:03 PM 14 Aug 06, Henri Yandell wrote:

On 8/7/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> people.apache.org/repo/m1-incubating-repository
> people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository

Noel, shall I go ahead and create the above? They get my +1 from a
repository@ point of view.

Pinging on this to make sure the Incubator is happy with the idea
before I set it up.

Hen

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]