Jim Hurley wrote:
On Aug 15, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

I'm not convinced the goal in the past was to have multiple
implementations, vs allowing multiple implementations.

I think the interpretation of this goal underlies both the naming and
standard issues. In essence, does the Jini community see the project
being proposed as *the* Jini implementation or as *a* Jini
implementation?

Hi Jukka-

I'm not going to try and pull a Bill Clinton with "it depends what the
definition of "is" is".... but I'd answer that I believe the Jini Community
views the project as *the* Jini implementation.

But *the* as in: "the main", "the original", "the most prominent", (what will be)
 "the Community's implementation", and "the one you'd recommend a developer
go grab to get going with Jini". But not *the* as in "the only".

I view it as being/becoming *the* Jini Community's touchstone (or main
commons).

Correct, as an example I'm the lead for the Jini Service Container
called Seven that is based on many of the proposed specifications and
implementations and builds on top. And while I don't re-implement the
specifications I've created many derivate works of the proposed code.
Some of that flowed back into the Sun codebase or likely will in the
future, some won't such as re-implementations of many of the Jini
services, but "specifications wise" these are still compatible.

And as Dan explained for many of the (service) specifications there are
already multiple implementations but with oh some many code from what is
proposed here. But then again many of these reimplementation is not what
I would define as "Jini" if I was pressed to describe it as a noun ;-)

And as Bob explained "depending on how the ASF project evolves Jini may
become easier and more synonymous with the specs and/or code produced by
the project", with the exception that where he uses "the specs produced
by the project" I would be inclined to say "*some* of the specs produced
by the project". Or to be more explicit I would like to see a Jini
Platform to be established, similar to the J2EE Platform, so that where
people could say "I wrote a J2EE application" we can say "I wrote a Jini
service" and that would have a meaning by the majority of the Jini
Community.
--
Mark