On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 12:44:58PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
<snip/>
> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this. A
> few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns that they
> don't want to see their projects be taken out of circulation in the
> central repository because they are incubating. If each and every
> incubating project has a version for each artifact like that above
> then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso
> then if you just had a repository definition pointing at the
> incubator repository.
>
> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
> sync to Maven's central repository.
>
> Thoughts?

"central repository" is ibiblio.org right? Eg not an ASF machine? I think
its not up to the incubator to dictate policies on what external parties
should and should not do with our software.

It all comes back to being clear to users and providing a consistent
message, and I think the steps we agreed on here (seperate repo, clear
versioning, incubation notices on website and in readme) are sufficient,
and I doubt we should go any further than that.

If other ASF projects depend on projects that depend on projects that
depend on incubating projects that are published on the ibiblio site and
that is not sufficiently clear for users of that project, then that's
not the responsibility of the incubator pmc to fix.

IOW, I don't really want to to get into the business of policing anything
but the bits we're actually responsible for policing :)

So I'll withold actual thoughts (which would've been along the lines of
"centralized storage is so 1990s") ;)

LSD