On Oct 27, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Jim Hurley wrote:
On Oct 25, 2006, at 6:35 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Greg Stein wrote:

It doesn't matter whatsoever as long as you are VERY consistently
calling it "Apache Braintree" as you should be doing _anyways_

Would that apply equally to the two names that were more highly rated by the JINI community than the one selected? What is the criteria? This topic
comes up quite often.

        --- Noel

Does this same criteria apply to any name?  I'm questioning whether
I understand the rules, so some clarification would really help.

Ah, crap, more mystery advice.  A trademark is still a trademark --
adding Apache on the front only makes the use possessive of the mark,
which is even more likely to get us sued than just using it plain.

As a general rule, consider what some big-angry-corp would do if we
did the same with their name. For example, Apache Java or Apache Windows,
both of which would result in a cease-and-desist letter in short order.

I thought for a second that Braintree would be clear of trademark,
but it isn't now:

  http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78891872

which is a recent application.  So, once again we are back where
we started -- it is safe to go ahead and start the podling as
braintree, but it is most likely to end up being renamed to jini
before it graduates (assuming that Sun does transfer the mark).

....Roy