On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/6/06, Mike Kienenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm still confused - why do we allow people to upload attachments that
> > are not intended for inclusion?
> >
> > I can see one very reasonable reason from a user point of view - the
> > example they want to upload is business related and so they want to do
> > their best to explain the problem to us, but not to have us publish
> > those details any further. However that reason doesn't hold up as it's
> > public if it's in our JIRA and if we don't know the license on it,
> > then can we even use it to resolve the issue?
> >
> > What makes an attachment special? Why don't we have to do this for
> > comments and the jira issue itself?
> >
> > Not seeing why we don't just say:  "All issues + attachments are
> > intended for inclusion".
>
> There's a difference between "I don't want to contribute this code to
> the project code base" versus "I don't want my code published."
>
> The "no" option means the code is not for inclusion into the project.
> It doesn't necessarily mean that the code is confidential.

What does 'not for inclusion' mean though?

If it's marked that way, can I take bits of the code out of it? Do I
have to worry about looking at that code and then implementing
something in the apache code that does the same thing and getting
sued?

For example, what if someone posts a bit of Sun's Java source to the
Harmony JIRA and marks it 'not for inclusion'. There's a world of
meaning in that not for inclusion flag. What's in it for the ASF to
have a not for inclusion option?

I'm not seeing why we allow it - better to say "Anything here is for
inclusion".

As you mentioned before, it's typically used to post example code
demonstrating a bug.    As a project committer, what's in it for me is
that I can use the submitted code to identify and fix the bug.   The
code doesn't have to be apache licensed for me to do that (ASF
licensing isn't viral).   There's still benefit to the project simply
in identifying and fixing bugs even without a code grant to the ASF.