David Crossley wrote:
On xml-based projects there are problems due to many weird
filename extensions, so i use a different approach with
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/tools/report_svn_text.pl
It scans for text files and reports which do not have "svn:eol-style native".

That looks like a good approach to me, we have just decided to do something similar for UIMA. The only difference is that we have use cases where text files need to be (binary) identical on all platforms, mostly input for our test cases. So for those files we've decided to set svn:eol-style to "LF". In our case, we would run a script that just checks that all text files have svn:eol-style set to *something* (or maybe native or LF). Maybe your Perl script could be extended with a switch that allows that?

AFAIK one also needs to fix the line-endings to be appropriate
for the local operating system. So it is probably a manual job
to report and fix.

This type of thing wastes a lot of time for open source.

We have tried to encourage ASF committers to configure their
svn client: http://apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn

The SVN FAQ mentions the possibility of (rather drastic) pre-commit hook.
Perhaps we should (/me ducks).

Or perhaps we should set up a regular (monthly?) job that scans
each project trunk and reports such issues.

Good idea, but see my comments above on not making this check require "native".

--Thilo