Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> As noted by James Margaris, yourself, Bertrand, et al, this does
> not actually address the issue where someone is committing co-workers'
> work, rather than having the co-workers participating on-list.

It does when the project pushes back; but I concur...

> We are really looking to have those co-workers be the one's directly
> posting to the mailing list or JIRA.  To get what you want, your second
> paragraph should clarify that "first [posting] the submission" means BY
> THE ACTUAL CONTRIBUTOR, not a proxy.

"...without the Author of the patch first [posting] the submission, or
in the case of an open source or public domain external work, one of the
project contributors posting the proposal to the list."

I'll work something up, good point.  I agree the 'Q & A - why this policy?'
should spell out lots of little edge cases, while keeping the main policy
clear and short.

> Zukka, I agree that this is more of an ASF-wide issue, but we often set
> the course here in the Incubator, and it carries over to the rest of the
> ASF, which is why we really need to make sure that Best Practices *are*
> Best Practices, and adjust them if not.

+1 to that.  I'd like to see it proven out over 6 mos/1 year, tweaked as
necessary, and then mention it as an aside to the board to adopt somewhere
within www.apache.org/dev/ as ASF-wide.  Should it's final form become ASF
wide policy?  Probably, time will tell, but I think we agree it's worth
watching to expand the policy's scope in time.

We graduate a project with their policies firmly in place, so if the project
chooses a different policy that's their choice after graduation, but if they
don't go out of their way, the policies from the incubator are 'sticky' in
their newly elevated TLP status.