Marshall,
 thanks for that pointer.  I've now got a little bit further,  but not
quite far enough.  So given that there are examples of people out there that
have got this right,  I'd like to be able to mimic their solutions exactly.
It seems to me that the solution will require the addition of a custom
field.  Considering where i have got so far,  there is distinct possibility
of creating a half baked solution that we would want to alter in the future.

So far I have set up a dummy server to play with, within my company's
firewall and added a custom field,  but the data type of my custom "Patch
Available" field  is "Multi Checkboxes",  and I have only defined a single
checkbox element "Patch Available". I would have preferred a simple boolean
type,  but that doesn't seem to be available in the set of types (
http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/customfields/overview.html
).

Also, it seems so far that I can only have this field altered by someone
with jira-developer access or greater after the jira has been created (a
jira-user seems to have authority to set the field value at origination).  I
would like for jira-users to be able to set this flag  on supplying a
patch,  but perhaps that just doesn't fit the ACL model,  so we may just
have to live with committers updating the jira on seeing an incoming patch.

I don't want to alter our live JIRA system with a second rate solution,
since any improvements at a later stage would be likely to cause confusion
because there would have to be 2 differently named fields and users would
have to apply two separate filters in order to search for such jiras.

If you have any ideas that would be really helpful, thanks.

--
Kelvin