On 3/16/07, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]
using the normal Apache distribution network to make them available,
and (for Maven users) not even making it visible that you're using a
non-official release because they didn't have to configure any
repository, you blur the distinction so much that it's going to get
totally lost.

If we accept this argument, then we naturally need a place where the
incubating "releases" can be retrieved from; hence, the m2-incubating
repository.  If we do not accept this argument, then AFAICT we are
basically making the "incubating projects cannot do releases" policy
inoperative.

There's a flaw in your argumentation, though a more practical.

I can understand that the Apache "dist" directory is something
reserved for certain artifacts. Fact is, the ibiblio repository (as
opposed to the incubator repository) is not.

The ibiblio repository is specifically designed to hold artifacts of
all kinds, if the license permits. There are all kind of jar files of
all kind of sources. If artifacts are in the designated incubator
repository, then nothing prevents external users from uploading them
to Ibiblio, which is usually done sooner or later. (If the artifacts
are actually in use.)

In other words, your intention that users have "to configure any
repository" is lost. You cannot prevent that. Or are you telling me
that the owner of the incubator artifacts (typically the ASF) reserves
particular distribution rights, which are limiting the ASL? All you
achieve is that the POM ifiles of ncubator artifacts typically have a
lesser quality, because they aren't maintained by the project owners.

Jochen

--
Emacs 22 will support MacOS and CygWin. It is not yet decided, whether
these will be used to run Emacs or the other way round.