The issue was that the maven assembly plugin doesn't treat
<fileMode>644</fileMode> in the way I would have expected it to (-rw-r--r--)
and requires <fileMode>0644</fileMode> to achieve the desired result.
This didn't show up when I tested the distribution on linux as I ran it as
root, for whom the samples run fine.

I have taken the opportunity to fix up properly the DISCLAIMER files that I
manually inserted into this release candidate and to make a couple of minor
tweaks of things I noticed while making these fixes.  I will start another
vote thread on a new release candidate RC4.

Regards, Kelvin.