I filed a JIRA on the documentation for the maven assembly plugin for
this, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-229, noting that the
requirement for a leading 0 in order to qualify the permissions
definition as being an octal number was inconsistent with the unix
chmod command.  Since then I have also realised it is inconsistent
with other maven file styles, such as the default permissions on the
server stanza in the settings.xml file.

If you do have some <fileMode>755</fileMode> style entries in your
assembly descriptors then they need to be changed to
<fileMode>0755</fileMode> style to get them to do what you want.

Regards, Kelvin.