On Sep 30, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

On Sunday 30 September 2007 01:53, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
The recent Tuscany distribution contains XSDs licensed under the OSOA
license[1] which contains the following:
"Permission to copy, make derivative works of, and distribute the
Service Component Architecture
JavaDoc, Interface Definition Files and XSD files in any medium
without fee or royalty as part
of a compliant implementation of the Service Component Architecture
Specification is hereby granted."

Is the restriction to a "compliant implementation" a field of use
constraint that Tuscany project should be concerned about?

Perhaps it is more of a matter for the legal-discuss@ list than here...

This has come up there before but I have not seen a resolution. I cc'ed them on this reply.

But, I agree with Roland that this is not FoU restrictions. I find the
formulation a bit odd, but think the intent is to ensure that the spec
doesn't "evolve" beyond the control of OSOA. Especially since it
mentions "Permission to ... make derivative works of ... Interface Definition
Files".

This is the point that concerns me. As I read it, users are only permitted to "copy, make derivative works of, and distribute" these items "as part of a compliant implementation." FoU may be the wrong term, but that clause is imposing restrictions on users that go beyond the Apache License as they are constrained to a "compliant implementation".

This seems the same issue we had with libraries from JSRs and which led to the creation of our own XSDs and API files in Geronimo so that we could provide them under the AL (back in the days before Sun's were available under CDDL). Tuscany already has an AL version of the APIs so this would only affect the XSDs.

--
Jeremy