On Wednesday 03 October 2007 12:26, Kevan Miller wrote:
> IIUC, the external dependencies of an incubating project need not
> strictly conform to Apache policy. For instance, a project may enter
> incubation with dependencies on artifacts that have an excluded
> license (http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html#category-x).
> It's my understanding that incubator releases could be created with
> these dependencies. However, the project would be expected to be
> working to remove these dependencies (certainly would be expected to
> be removed prior to graduation). Is my understanding correct?
>
> This relaxation of Apache policy towards external dependency policy
> does not translate to a relaxation of licensing requirements. Any
> Apache release must observe and follow the license requirements of
> the artifacts that it contains (no matter what category the license
> falls under). Failure to adhere to the license requirements of these
> dependencies are non-negotiable. Once identified, they must be
> addressed prior to release.

Somewhat correct, BUT the consequence of of "adhere to the license
requirements of these dependencies" would mean that for most of the excluded
licenses, we can NOT release under Apache License, which is not a leniency
tolerated.

So, the correct understanding would instead to be;
 1. The podling is released under Apache License.
 2. We fulfill all licensing requirements of dependencies.
 3. No redistribution of sources other than category A licensed code.
 4. Binary dependencies only on category A and category B licensed code.

I would personally also like to add;
 5. Any code imported under a non-compatible (i.e. not Category A) license
    has been removed from the codebase.

Probably other things as well.

Cheers
--