On Sunday 28 October 2007 23:15, Erik Abele wrote:
> As BenL always says: "I don't give a shit about some random document,
> that could be faked anyway. All I care about is the email address
> connected to the key I intend to sign - is it really the address of
> the person in question?".

Ok, and if you don't know the individual in person, you put the trust in
a "Driver's license" or similar... but doesn't really care how that 'trust'
was established.
I must be plain dumb, but I don't "get" why this provides any comfort to
end-users, even if they manage to figure out what to do with the .ASCs (I bet
a very small percentage do).

And that is why I am asking for better tooling.

> See also http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/PgpKeySigning

Ok, it shows half the picture; How to sign the keys are left out...

> > as well as tooling support for verifications.
> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/verification.html

Uhhhh, we probably have more than a million users. Do we expect them all to
get a hook into the WOT ?? IMHO, there is something wrong with that
picture...

Couldn't a simple; http://www.apache.org/verify where I put the ASC file (and
the MD5 of download??) and get a "Authenticated" or not response be done?? If
that is too hard to automate, I don't think we ever will see any increase in
user awareness. The process on the above page is beyond most users'
imagination.

Cheers
Niclas