On Nov 22, 2007 6:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Since there has been no discussion, and this is a change to policy
>
> Discussion to what?  I see the RAT set up thread, but there was no
> discussion of a general policy change.  Robert said that "infrastructure
> approval should probably rest with the IPMC in general rather than the
> mentors specifically", and you wondered why he wasn't a Mentor.
>
> > I'd like to formally propose adopting the policy change in
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-71
>
> -1 on the grounds that some degree of decentralization is desirable, but
> infrastructure changes should be effected under the auspices of the PMC,
> as noted by Robert.  Mentors are PMC members.

IMHO this involves both a wider and narrower issue

1. for this narrow issue, approval has already been given. insisting
that mentors in particular prepare the required JIRA isn't really
adding anything but friction to the process.

2. the wider issue is whether all infrastructure work should require
IPMC approval and (if so) what form this approval should take

IMO it would be more effect to remove this particular rule and insist
that infrastructure work was approved by the IPMC

- robert