On 29.11.2007, at 22:41, Marshall Schor wrote:

In our next release of Apache UIMA from the incubator, we would like to
include an additional packaging of some of our Eclipse tooling as an
Eclipse "update site".  This is a location, reachable via http, which
Eclipse can use to download Eclipse plugins.  Doing this solves a
long-standing complaint because this method does version / dependency
checking for other needed Eclipse plugins.

Several projects at Apache make use of Eclipse update sites; all of them
(I think) host them off of their project web sites.  This is what we
would like to do.

Off of their project web sites? Hmm, I'd suggest to do it like Geronimo and use your /dist/ area:

http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/updates/

and also tie it into the current mirroring system; for an example see site.xml at that location, esspecially the <site mirrorsURL="..."> in there which refers to [1] and which takes care of delivering the locations of the currently available mirrors...

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://geronimo.apache.org/devtools/geronimo-eclipse-update--xml.cgi
    for the source see