Greetings Jason and Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:03 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Java Jabber Server

On 23 Dec 07, at 10:29 AM 23 Dec 07, Peter Neubauer wrote:

> Hi there,
> On Oct 31, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> I have the port to Plexus in a tree and I'm sure alag would be fine >> with it coming along here.
>>
> Yes, i got that impression too. Guess Alag has no cycles to spare on > this and it seems a Apache IM server would be great. Then, does this > relate to the Eclipse Communication Framework somehow (which of > course uses OSGi as the underlying component model)?

Not sure if ECF has a server, but they most certainly can tie into any existing server infrastructure.

ECF does have several plugins and APIs focused on OSGi-based servers. As suggested by Peter, ECF is based upon OSGi/Equinox as underlying runtime/component model.

ECF does not yet have a full XMPP server implementation, however. We would happily participate in/contribute to such a project.

There are a number of relevant ECF APIs/components...e.g. presence/im, async file transfer, im bot, remote OSGi services, voip call API, IRC, Skype, JMS support, etc:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF_API_Docs

Most of these APIs can/could be used for implementing an XMPP server...and the dependencies of these APIs and their providers are intentionally as little as possible (i.e. OSGI CDC 1.0/Foundation 1.0) to allow for usage by smaller devices as well as servers.

ECF is doing more with server-side usage of Equinox/OSGi, and this obviously fits in quite well with an OSGi+ECF-based XMPP server.

Please do let me/us know about any such effort that we could contribute to. The ECF dev mailing list is available at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regards,

Scott

ECF Project Lead

But this variant of the IM server is set of Plexus components, as they were once a set of Phoenix components.

> I would be interested in participating in a XMPP project, especially > checking out the implications of that for mobile-to-mobile > communication and streaming between XMPP peers.
>
> /peter

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

-- Paul Graham