Kevan Miller wrote:

On Jan 24, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

Kevan Miller wrote:

On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Trustin Lee wrote:

Hi Richard,

IIUC, yes, the owner of the donated code needs to update the source
code.  Probably you could send some patch to him and he could apply
the patch.  When I import AsyncWeb, I just did it by myself because I
was a committer of the project.

Section 1. of http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers addresses this case...

Cool. So, what form can written approval take? Is it sufficient for him to say "yes" on the JIRA issue on which he has attached the donated code? If not, I guess I will just ask he to resubmit the modified code.

Well, IANAL ;-), but I don't think the "Grant license to ASF..." button gives you permission to remove the copyright. In the past, I've asked the the patch provider to remove the copyright and resubmit the patch. I think that's the best (and easiest).

I wasn't referring to the "button"...I was referring to whether it would be acceptable for him to give "written approval" as a JIRA comment. Regardless, you are probably correct that it is easier to have him modify it. :-)

-> richard