Stefan Hepper wrote:

It is not true that after the JSR was final everything stopped. In fact once we had finished 1.0 there was still work done to get to a more stable 1.0.1 release. After that the pluto community re-structed the code which led to the pluto 1.1 stream, so you can see that it was an active community not only some code drop.

I mentioned this.

JSR 168 itself was "Final Release" on 27 Oct, 2003.

Wading through the repository:

The first entry of Pluto in Subversion is Tue Sep 30 14:03:01 2003 (cvs2svn import).

Pluto 1.0.1-RC1 was tagged Thu Oct 7 09:25:40 2004.
Pluto 1.0.1-RC4 was tagged Mon Jul 25 01:06:54 2005.
Pluto 1.0.1 was "ReTagged" Mon Oct 10 18:29:33 2005.

1.0.1, the first minor-revision above the inital code drop, being a fix of the most crazy bugs, was tagged more than two years after the inital code drop.

Pluto 1.1.0 was tagged "[maven-scm] copy for tag pluto-1.1.0" Sun Feb 11 17:29:23 2007.

1.1.0 was, IIRC, a larger refactor to make the code somewhat more embeddable.

If the tags don't lie, the 1.1.0 came out less than a year ago, 3 years and 4 months after the initial drop. This time period isn't really extreme in itself, but compared to the developer activity on a project that literally screamed for help, it becomes sad.

The following fact I'm not _quite_ certain of, and it takes a bit too much time to search the archives to prove it (this isn't exactly some court), but I do believe I have my words intact if I state that there wasn't much involvement in any of those versions after the initial dump to come from any of you IBM folks. Repos and mailing list archives are available. And for my comments of code quality - I might be wrong, I might be a nit-picker, or I might just be a bad coder - but the initial drop and all the versions are still there in the repository: have a look-see.

There might be some tools better than ViewVC to run through the repository and mailing lists to get a better picture of these facts. But AFAIK, and I've been lurking lots (due to the fact that I had interests in a embeddable standards compliant container at the time), Pluto has *never* had much of an active community. I believe most of the 1.1.0 was done by one man. Had the initial code been of quite a bit better quality, or had it had quite a bit more backing from the droppers to bootstrap any community, it had at least had ONE more active developer, that I can guarantee. I tried, but I could just not start anywhere with that code, and I could not start doing a complete rewrite of that dump on my own (I'd actually rather start from scratch, to be honest).

Also in my view pluto was a success, take a look at all the projects using the pluto container: http://portals.apache.org/pluto/powered.html.

Compared to the amount of portals, this isn't exactly amazing. That IBM doesn't use it itself (I belive?), an Apache product which they themselves created, is quite telling, compared to the fact that IBM isn't exactly shy of using lots of other Apache products in their products and services.

Endre.