Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Thilo Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

UIMA currently ships the KEYS file as part of
its distributions.  I found one other Apache
project (Derby) that also does.  The others
that I checked, don't (random sample of what
I had on my hard drive).

I would assume that putting the KEYS file in
the distribution is at best not necessary, and
may be counterproductive, as it might lead
people to use it.  And of course you can't
verify your distribution that way.  So I'm
thinking of removing the KEYS file from the
distribution.

Any compelling reasons to go one way or the
other?

source distributions should be identical to the contents of version control
when the release is cut. if the KEYs file is present in the source that's
cut, it should be left. if you're worried, add a note to the top of the file
(it'll be ignored upon import). if the KEYs file is not present in version
control, it should not be added to the source distribution.

for binary distributions, it's best not to include the KEYs file

- robert

That makes sense.

--Thilo