Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

On May 30, 2008, at 5:27 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:04 AM, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Isn't there something that states that an incubating project needs to
be novel or provide something that's not already provided by another
library (with an open-source license)?  I have looked at the JSecurity
proposal only briefly, but it seems to me that most of what it aims to
provide is already provided by Spring Security (a.k.a. Acegi).
Although, Spring Security is somewhat bound to the Spring framework
(they implement InitializingBean and stuff), so that might be what
JSecurity is trying to provide, a container-agnostic security
framework.

There's no uniqueness requirement AFAIK.  Any kind of project can be
proposed even if there already exist multiple implementations of a similar
technology here at the ASF and abroad.

Well put.  Let a thousand flowers bloom.
This is also what the incubator is good for ;)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org