On Jul 30, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Malcolm Edgar wrote:

One possible complication to this is that all the code in Click
currently has a copyright header assigned to Malcolm Edgar, even if
they were contributed from other comitters. So in committing code
people have explicity assigned their copyright to me.  This was a
habit I picked up from working on Tapestry.

If you have signed documents from each author saying that they
have irrevocably assigned copyright to you, then you have copyright
ownership of the work and there is no need to bother anyone else.

However, I think that is unlikely, given the discussion so far.
Just placing a notice on top of the work doesn't give you copyright,
not does committing to a file that has such a notice constitute
assigning copyright.  Contributions to an Apache Licensed work are
understood to be covered by the license itself (when no CLA is given),
which defines a nonexclusive license and not copyright assignment.

However I don't know whether this copright statement would has legal
standing, or is in the spirity of Apache.

If it has legal standing, then Apache has no choice but to accept it.
Assignment, though, has very specific legal requirements.  The spirit
of Apache still requires that all the current committers on the project
sign an iCLA, since that establishes a common agreement on their
future contributions to any ASF project.

....Roy