On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:49 +0200, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Though I'm not in favor of dropping the community requirements for
> graduation, I must disagree with the following, based on our license:
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Upayavira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > We are not yet confident that there will be a community actively
> > developing that code, so we cannot vouch for its ongoing development or
> > support. If you use the code, you use it at your own risk - that is, you
> > may well find yourself having to maintain the code base yourself.
>
> 7. Disclaimer of Warranty. Unless required by applicable law or agreed
> to in writing, Licensor provides the Work (and each Contributor
> provides its Contributions) on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR
> CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied, including, without
> limitation, any warranties or conditions of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT,
> MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. You are solely
> responsible for determining the appropriateness of using or
> redistributing the Work and assume any risks associated with Your
> exercise of permissions under this License.
>
> There are no warrantees when using Apache software. While we strive to
> provide support and keep communities alive, there are no guarantees
> that projects will be around after a (couple of) years(s). There are
> several top level projects that have dissolved (because of internal
> turmoil or lack of an active community), or are about to go that
> route.

That licence applies to those bits - that tarball. What we're talking
about here is something more ephemeral: a community.

I was going to say that what we need is a clearer statement about this,
but I found this disclaimer here [1]:

"Apache "Podling-Name" is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache
Software Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the name of sponsor. Incubation
is required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF
projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the
completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project
has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF."

Actually that does a reasonable job. It is the 'project' that has yet to
be endorsed, not the code.

When you endorse code, you say that it is legally correct.

When you endorse a project, you say that you believe the community to be
sufficiently strong to live on for a reasonable time.

These are completely different statements, and the former could be made
about a release by a brand new podling with committers from just one
employer.

Upayavira

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html