On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Niclas Hedhman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Hiram Chirino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> There are maven plugins that can validate the checksums of 3rd party
>> dependencies.
>
> Uhhh... Call me stupid, but how can checksum solve anything other than
> assuring that the download worked?? AFAIK, Maven does not pick up the
> checksums from the "authorative" server and validates it against the
> mirrored one. Perhaps that has changed since "back then"... And even
> then, how hard can it be to get the same 1024/2048/65536/... bit
> checksum by modifying that many 'extra' or 'unused' bits?

Because we would be including the checksum in the source code of the
project that needs the dependency.  I guess I failed to say that the
checksum needs to a cryptographic checksum and not one of your CRC
variates.  That way it's computationally difficult to figure out which
bits you need to pad to get the same checksum.

So like I said, once you start doing that maven is about as secure as
any other build tool that we currently use at the ASF.

> Cheers
> Niclas

Regards,
Hiram