On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM, David Crossley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> Martin Cooper wrote:
>> >
>> > The status page template includes a bullet item that states, in part:
>> >
>> > "check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
>> > trademarked for an existing software product"
>> >
>> > How do we go about this? The CSC web site wants me to call them to have an
>> > account set up, but surely we're not all setting up accounts for one-time
>> > use, are we? I just want to complete the check for the PhotArk podling.
>>
>> i'm not sure that we have a good answer to this question ATM
>>
>> maybe we need to rephrase this - how can the incubator ensure that a
>> name is not already trademarked for an existing software product?
>
> I agree. I took the liberty of changing the subject
> of this thread.
>
> Recently i tried to summarise the various discussions
> on this topic.
>
> See the page:
> "Choosing names for ASF projects"
> http://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html

thanks for starting to take a stab at this

> When people conduct an internet search after hearing about an ASF project,
> they will use some technical terms and a name. We want to appear near the top
> and not get confused with someone else in the same technical space.

IMHO this is the opposite of the problem:

apache projects are often very quickly highly ranked when conducting
internet searches. an apache project with a similar name to someone
else in the same technical space may quickly come to dominate searches
in that space. If someone else holds a related trademark then this may
lead to a legal dispute.

> I have passed it by the legal-discuss mail list,
> but only received some general comments so far.

might need to raise a JIRA if you want some sort of formal approval

- robert