Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We should probably try to find the collective energy to review UIMA
>> before the project's enthusiasm is sapped.
>
> That sounds like a healthy observation. My Q for the community is; Do
> you have a healthy and diverse set of users? If so, have the UIMA team
> looked at "What is stopping these users from becoming contributors?" ?

Yes, we do have a healthy and diverse user community.  We have
racked our brains what we could do to attract more community
contribution.  We've created a sandbox to facilitate the inclusion
of experimental technology.  There's been some uptake, but not
enough.  Some of us are working on scale out via JMS and are
hoping to attract contributions in that area.  We've started
discussions and suggested things for people to work on.  I don't
know, maybe we're going about this the wrong way.

My pet hypothesis (or maybe I'm just looking for excuses) is
this: UIMA is heavily used in academia.  Now academics have no
problems with open source, to the contrary.  But they have an
overwhelming need to publish and build up a reputation.  So
they like to publish their source code on their own web site,
where it's clear it's their work, rather than contribute to
some community effort.  If you look around, you'll see all
manner of university efforts around UIMA, but very little of
that code finds its way back into the ASF repo.

Enough whining.  If you have any suggestions, we'll be happy
to hear them.

--Thilo