2009/2/20 William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> I know that we usually try to strongly encourage companies not to use
>> apache as dumping ground but I wonder sometimes whether it might be
>> useful to accept more contributions of proof-of-concept code
>> especially from academia. It's often easier to start from some proof-
>> of-concept code than from scratch.
>
> +1 - let's please not forget that NCSA httpd was exactly that, a code
> dump (well, fork/import) of an abandoned work :)

People interested in this idea should read read [1]  OOSS
(Organization for Open Source Software) Study

I'd be very happy to make something like this happen (and given the
right support it is entirely possible we could get funding for it).
However, I'm not sure it should happen within the ASF. I think the
incubator is sufficient for new projects intended for the ASF and code
developed for existing projects should be incubated within those
projects (see my earlier comments).

Ross

[1]
http://www.ithaka.org/strategic-services/oss/oss-organization-for-open-source-software-study