On 6-Apr-09, at 12:33 AM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

Jason,

Although, we keep trying to point out that OBR != p2, you seem to keep missing that point.

The argument is not lost on me. That they are not that far apart insofar as providing a repository system with an API to retrieve and manipulate artifacts is the point you are missing. They are not that wildly different and one could either of the easily evolve into the other. That's why I keep pointing it out because when anyone said OBR at EclipseCon the word provisioning always followed in the next sentence. Followed by a comparison with p2. I think both technologies are relevant in any discussion about provisioning OSGi.

OBR is a simple repository model and API for accessing it, that's all it is...it is not a provisioning system. As such, OBR has been "done" for a long time. All other functionality should be hopefully be buildable as layers on top, such as what Luminis has done with their provisioning work.

You act like there is some "gotcha" that OBR is not an OSGi spec, but OBR has always existed outside of the OSGi specs, so who cares? The proposal literally only mentions the letters "OBR" once as a dependency and nothing more. It is hardly the main selling point.

No one was shouting about OBR or p2, that was only you.

In a year from now when anyone is talking about provisioning OSGi what do you think the main underlying technologies bases will be? They will be OBR and p2. Either one of them will be expanded and changed and they will be the basis of most if not all provisioning technologies. I think you know that as well as I do.

Also, the notion that we should just lay down because we can't compete with some big company and all these man years they have invested is somewhat ridiculous. If we all bought into that, then none of us would be here.

As I also stated there are lots of small companies involved as well. I'm just saying pick your battles. Do you think a business manager is going to say "Hmm, this system has 5 man years of work in it and is used by a lot of people ... Well let's not consider that because that's ridiculous." Anyone trying to use the technology will not use that argument as a reason not to use it. I'm just saying it's a possible reason for not wanting to develop something else. If this was a proprietary solution not accessible, and not extensible then an open solution would be great, but that's not the case with p2. I would argue it's more of a proprietary case for OBR given the constraints to participate in the forming and implementation of the specification.

If you just wanted to point out that p2 should be mentioned as a competing technology in the proposal, I think you could have accomplished that in a more reasonable manner.

Maybe. I'm not a dancer.

Lastly, it is somewhat difficult for me to take community building lessons from someone who claims to have had an OSGi awakening and is willing to cull all of their own personal projects as a result, yet I can count on probably a couple fingers how many discussions you've instigated (or even responded to) regarding OSGi, OBR, or any topic in the Felix community in all the years it has existed.

Heh. I _never_ claimed to be a an example of a good community builder. I wouldn't take any community building lessons from me. I write stuff, if you want to use it great. If you don't it's no skin off my back. That's the extent of my community building skill.

On the OSGi front I probably wouldn't be involved in many discussion on the Felix list because I use Equinox. So I don't think that's overly odd.

-> richard