> My view, and I believe Torstens view is that to become a committer means
> join the dev lists, send in patches, be part of the community, gain trust
> with the project members and then after a while be voted in as a
committer.

Trust related to what?  Keep in mind that Committer != PMC member, which is
an important distinction (even if some think otherwise).  And the person
should be considered more trustworthy than most with respect to making
patches, given that they are the contributors of the code in the first
place.

They do need to do is become indoctrinated in the community, and if it is
just a committer or few at a time into an entire community, Apache Commons
ought to be able to handle that.

        --- Noel