On 14/04/2009, Todd Volkert <tvolk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Incubator PMC members:
>
>  I've addressed the concerns brought up in the first vote and have
>  re-rolled the distribution archives with the fixes.  Specifically,
>  here's what changed since the last vote:
>
>  * Changed the JDK 1.5 system requirement in the BUILD file to be JDK
>  1.6 (which includes the StAX API and JavaScript engine).  This enabled
>  us to remove the stax*.jar and js*.jar files from the distribution and
>  sidestep any potential issues with including them in the future.  Note
>  that the runtime system requirement is still JRE 1.5 -- this stricter
>  1.6 system requirement only applies to those who want to build Pivot
>  from source.
>
>  * Removed the LiveConnect "plugin.jar" from being included in the
>  distribution, and added a note about the need for the library in the
>  BUILD file.  Also added a check in the build file to fail
>  descriptively if the developer does not have the LiveConnect library
>  on their classpath.
>
>  * Removed JUnit from being included in the distribution, and listed it
>  a system requirement in the BUILD file.  Also added a check in the
>  build file to fail descriptively if the developer does not have JUnit
>  on their classpath.
>
>  * Added the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License to the LICENSE
>  file.  Note that since we removed JUnit from the distribution, we no
>  longer need to add the Common Public License to the LICENSE file.
>
>  * Updated the servlet-api.jar to the one that ships with Tomcat 6.0,
>  and updated the NOTICE file to explicitly state that the file comes
>  from Apache Tomcat and is licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
>
>  I have re-posted the new distribution archives and the newly generated
>  RAT reports to the following location:
>  http://people.apache.org/~tvolkert/pivot/
>
>  I have also checked the archives by running the following tests:
>  * Unpacked all archives (zip and tar.gz, source and binaries) into
>  distinct folders.
>  * Verified the md5 and sha1 checksums of all archives
>  * Verified the pgp signatures of all archives
>  * Inspected the Javadoc included in the binary release
>  * Built and ran a suite of proprietary Pivot apps against the binary
>  JAR files from the command line (DesktopApplicationContext)
>  * Built the "build", "doc", "dist", and "install" targets from within
>  the source distribution and verified that the output was correct (by
>  inspection).
>  * Looked at the .txt RAT report to make sure that the remaining files
>  without a license header were acceptable.
>  * Made sure that my most recent changes are in the new artifacts.

I've just tried a build on Win/XP, Java 1.6.0.

This reports quite a few compilation warnings, for example:

    [javac] wtk\src\pivot\wtk\content\TreeViewFileRenderer.java:34:
warning: sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder
 is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
    [javac] import sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder;
    [javac]                     ^
    [javac] wtk\src\pivot\wtk\content\TreeViewFileRenderer.java:89:
warning: sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder
 is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
    [javac]         ShellFolder shellFolder = null;
    [javac]         ^
    [javac] wtk\src\pivot\wtk\content\TreeViewFileRenderer.java:91:
warning: sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder
 is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
    [javac]             shellFolder = ShellFolder.getShellFolder(file);
    [javac]                           ^
    [javac] 3 warnings

Does Pivot only work on Sun JVMs?

    [javac] core-test\src\pivot\core\test\PropertiesSerializerTest.java:37:
warning: unmappable character for encoding Cp1252
    [javac]         testMap.put("i18n",    "┬Ç & Î?ÎÿΣÎóή");  //
test some chars to encode ...
    [javac]                                       ^
    [javac] 1 warning

Also, the build file does not seem to run any tests, it only compiles them.