On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two other issues to discuss for the Subversion podling:

> * placing the source code at /subversion/ rather than /incubator/subversion/
>
> We are hoping to minimize overall disruption to the community with a
> move to incubator space, then a move to apache space.

I think a good thing we started here is to dig back in memory to find
the core reasons why the process is what it is and make sure we stick
to what's important. I think we have two main reasons to have the
"incubator" name in most those places normally:

1) make clear to users what the status of a project is, i.e. where
incubation is implying that a project may not become an apache project
or that it may not be quite safe legally yet or it may not have a
healthy community behind it or we don't have the trademarks yet or
whatever

2) protect the apache brand (you know...if an incubating project goes
up in flames, well, that's ok, we told you that might happen)

3) make it easier to keep a tight leash on PR

I would argue we are not very worried about subversion being "unsafe
for use by the general public" :-).

Similarly, the main thing that would hurt our brand is if the
subversion community would decide to cancel the incubation process
(because apache really sucks, you know...). The most important thing
these days is probably clear messaging on the relevant website(s).

So, as long as y'all make sure to do that good stuff (be clear to
users and protect the involved brands), I think what infrastructure
goes where exactly, can be up to infra@, in this case. And y'all are
talking to PRC anyway about any press stuff. I see no real risks.

cheers,

Leo