On 02/02/2010 09:22 AM, Wathsala Vithanage wrote:
Hi,

We would like to incubate the project Dalesa at Apache incubator and join
Apache Software Foundation.
You can find the proposal at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DalesaProposal.

Dalesa is a P2P web cache which could become an alternative to existing
centralised web caches like Squid. At the moment we have a released the
first release candidate of version 1.0.0.
The project web is at http://dalesa.sourceforge.net

Very interesting. First off, I think you have covered most bases in your proposal, and the concept certainly makes sense. One thing that is unclear to me is who the target users are (everyone with a computer?)? And who is using it today? There are obvious overlaps between this proposal, and the Traffic Server project, as you have pointed out. For example, TS already has a "clustering" solution, which uses consistent hashing for distributing the objects (granted, it's currently broken, but we'll fix that :). I'm sure there are plenty of other pieces that would be very similar, a proxy is a proxy after all.

As such, if this proposal gets accepted, I think it's important and useful for both TS and Dalesa to cooperate, sharing ideas as well as code (when possible). Long term, I could possibly see the two being combined as one TLP (but, we'll have to see what code pieces can be shared / merged etc., and we're currently working hard to get a first TS release out the door). I don't think any of the TS developers are IPMC members, so we can't help mentor the project during incubation. But I myself would be willing to help as much as I can as a contributor, to help you through incubation at least.

Cheers!

-- leif